Wheat Germ Jam Bars
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter||6 Tablespoon, softened|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Grated lemon rind/Grated orange rind||2 Teaspoon|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Seedless raspberry jam/Apricot preserve / other jam||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, and 1/2 cup wheat germ in large bowl.
3. Beat together the butter, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, rind, and vanilla.
4. Stir in dry ingredients. With your hands press mixture into 13-by 9- by 2-inch baking pan, building up the edges to about 1/2 inch.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes.
6. Beat the egg whites until foamy throughout. Gradually add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff. Fold in the nuts and remaining wheat germ.
7. Spread jam on the baked crust, then spread the egg white mixture over jam. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Cut in small bars.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2868 Calories from Fat 1156
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 134 g205.7%
Saturated Fat 55 g274.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 616.5 mg205.5%
Sodium 655.1 mg27.3%
Total Carbohydrates 382 g127.3%
Dietary Fiber 36.3 g145.1%
Sugars 104.1 g
Protein 66 g131.5%
Vitamin A 55.4% Vitamin C 22.8%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 85.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet