Butterscotch Nut Bars
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Light brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Maple/Maple flavor syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts||16 Ounce, chopped (1 Can)|
|Shredded coconut||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat first 5 ingredients, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons butter or margarine until blended. Wrap dough; refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat sugar, maple syrup, 1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks), and 3/4 cup packed brown sugar to boiling, stirring occasionally; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pat dough into bottom of 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan. Prick dough all over with fork to prevent puffing during baking. Bake crust 10 minutes.
4. Remove jelly-roll pan from oven. Stir walnuts, coconut, and cream into mixture in saucepan; spread evenly over baked crust. Bake 35 minutes longer or until slightly firm around the edge (center will still be liquid). Let cool in pan on wire rack.
5. When cold, cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 16 bars. Store in tightly covered container.