Date And Nut Bars
|Pecans/Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), sifted|
|Brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Baking powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.). Grease, line with paper and grease again a 10 by 10-inch pan.
2. Chop nuts coarsely. Pit dates and chop. Add one tablespoon flour and mix with fingers until dates are coated and mixed with nuts. Set aside.
3. Beat eggs, add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
4. Sift together remaining flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir until well mixed. Stir nuts and dates into the batter.
5. Spread in prepared pan and bake for about twenty minutes, or until cake rebounds to the touch when pressed gently in the center. Cool slightly, turn out of pan and cut into bars one by two and one-half inches.