1. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin with a touch of butter and place in a paper loaf tin liner or line the tin neatly with greaseproof paper.
2. Chop the walnuts.
3. Into a small jug break the eggs and beat together.
4. Peel the bananas and place in a clean dish.
5. Using a large dinner fork, mash them until nice and smooth.
6. Cover with cling film until required.
7. Weigh and measure all ingredients.
8. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 3).
9. Into a large clean mixing bowl place the softened butter and add the sugar.
10. Using a handheld electric whisk, whisk until the mixture becomes soft and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl from time to time.
11. Gradually add the beaten egg a little at a time.
12. When all the egg has been incorporated, add a few drops of vanilla extract to give a little extra flavor.
13. Into the bowl sift both types of flour, baking powder and salt and gently fold into the mixture using a large metal spoon.
14. Add the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts and mix well.
15. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and level off the top.
16. Place on a baking tray and put in the pre-heated oven to bake for about 70–75 minutes.
17. Try not to overcook the banana bread, as you want it nice and moist in the middle.
18. When cooked, remove the banana bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin.
19. When cool, remove the banana bread from the tin and peel away the paper.
20. Cut the banana bread into slices when required and serve with topping or as desired.