|Onion||1⁄2 Small, sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), lightly crushed|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 , halved and seeded|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||6 Ounce (1 1/2 sticks)|
|Plantains||3 Large, thinly sliced (yellow variety)|
|All purpose flour||13 1⁄2 Teaspoon (1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 475°.
2) In a medium saucepan, add onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper and black peppercorns. Pour in milk.
3) Place the saucepan over moderately high heat and bring to a simmer.
4) Remove from heat, cover with a lid and place aside to infuse for 25 minutes.
5) In a large skillet, add 3 tablespoons butter and melt over moderately high heat.
6) SautÃ© half of the plantain slices for 2 minutes each side by turning once, until nicely brown.
7) Repeat the process with 3 tablespoons butter and remaining plantains.
8) In another medium saucepan, add remaining 6 tablespoons butter and melt over moderate heat. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and place aside.
9) Sprinkle flour on melted butter in the saucepan. Stir for about 2 minutes to cook without allowing the flour to color to make a roux.
10) Strain the seasoned milk into the saucepan.
11) Increase the heat to moderately high and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue whisking the liquid over heat until it thickens.
12) Lower the heat to moderate and whisk the sauce for another 2 minutes, until it becomes smooth and no longer floury tasting.
13) Season the sauce with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
14) In a buttered medium gratin or baking dish, place the sautÃ©ed plantains in a single layer.
15) Pour on one-third of the white sauce over the plantains.
16) Season the sauce with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
17) Repeat the process for another two times.
18) Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top.
19) Drizzle the reserved 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter on top.
20) Place inside oven to bake for about 15 minutes, until bubbling and lightly browned on top.
21) Serve the gratin warm by seasoning with little chili powder or ground black pepper, if desired.
Calories 464 Calories from Fat 241
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42%
Saturated Fat 16.9 g84.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 72.3 mg24.1%
Sodium 228.4 mg9.5%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g17.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.7%
Sugars 23.5 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A 42.3% Vitamin C 38.6%
Calcium 15.2% Iron 9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet