Fried Green Bananas With Spiced Ground Chicken
|Green bananas||4 Medium (Use The Unripe Ones)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground chicken/Ground turkey||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried currants/1/2 cup golden raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pimiento-stuffed olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Plain yogurt/Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Loosely packed cilantro leaves/Loosely packed fresh mint leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
1. Peel the bananas with a paring knife (the peel doesn't come off easily when the bananas are unripe). Cut them in half lengthwise, then in half lengthwise again, so you have 4 long strips, each about 1/2 inch wide.
2. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using a fork, mix the flour, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together on a plate. Dip the bananas in the seasoned flour and set them, flat side down, in the skillet. Saute over medium heat, for 3 minutes. Turn them over, cover, and cook until brown and crisp all over, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
3. While the bananas are cooking, heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, allspice, chili powder, and oregano and saute until aromatic, 10 seconds.
4. Add the ground chicken and cook until almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. As you cook the chicken, keep mashing it with the side of a wooden spoon so that it crumbles evenly.
5. Stir the water into the tomato paste to dissolve it, and add it to the chicken along with the currants and olives. Simmer until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
6. Remove the skillet from the heat. Spoon the chicken in the center of each dinner plate and top with some yogurt. Surround the chicken with slices of banana. Drizzle a tiny bit of honey over the bananas if you wish. Garnish the chicken and bananas with the mint.