Carne Relleno With Fried Plantains
|For the carne rellena|
|Flank steak||2 Pound|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed or minced to a paste|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ham||4 Ounce, thinly sliced|
|Onion||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Carrot||1 , thinly sliced|
|Fresno chili/Jalapeno chile||1 , seeded and minced (Red Variety)|
|Red bell pepper||1 , seeded and julienned|
|Hard-boiled eggs||2 , sliced|
|Light olive oil/Light safflower oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Peanut oil||1 Tablespoon (As Needed)|
|Ripe plantain||2 , peeled and cut on a diagonal into 1/2-inch slices|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. On a flat work surface, place the beef and spread the top side with garlic paste.
3. Season the beef with salt, pepper, and oregano.
4. Add layers of the ham, onion, carrot, chile, and bell pepper; arrange the ingredients within Â½ inch inside the edge of the steak.
5. Finally add egg.
6. Roll the steak carefully like a jelly roll.
7. Using a kitchen twine, tie at the end and in the middle.
8. In a mixing bowl, blend together tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, stock, wine, and bay leaves.
9. In a heavy saute pan or skillet, heat olive oil and sear the stuffed steak over medium-high heat about 2 to 3 minutes on each side until brown on all sides.
10. In a roasting pan, place the steaks and pour the tomato paste mixture over the steaks.
11. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 2 hours until the steak is tender; turn occasionally.
12. Meanwhile prepare the fried plantains.
13. In a deep, heavy skillet, pour oil up to Â½ inch height and heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
14. Fry the plantain slices in oil for 2 to 3 minutes per side until golden brown.
15. Drain on paper towels, season with pepper, and keep warm.
16. Remove the steak from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
17. Carefully slice the steak.
18. In a saucepan, pour the braising liquids and heat until thickened.
19. On warm serving plates, place the sliced steak and spoon sauce all over.
20. Place fried plantains alongside the steak slice.
21. Serve immediately.