Whole Wheat Baguettes
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (105 To 115 Degrees)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon (For Mixing)|
1. Combine yeast, sugar, salt, and water in a large bowl.
2. Add the all-purpose and whole wheat flours a little bit at a time, mixing well. Expect the dough to be sticky and add enough flour to make it possible for you to move the dough to a lightly floured surface.
3. Knead the dough for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic, adding flour until the dough no longer sticks to your hands.
4. Place dough in a bowl, coated with vegetable cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, for 2 hours or until it doubles in bulk.
5. Punch the dough down. Move dough back to the floured surface and divide into 4 equal portions. Shape each part into a long loaf. Sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom of 4 nonstick baguette pans. Place each loaf on a pan.
6. Gently slash top of dough with a sharp knife, making 5 diagonal cuts. Brush the tops of the loaves with the egg white and water. Let dough rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Bake the bread for 13 minutes and then cover the loaves with foil. Continue baking for 12 minute more or until loaves sound hollow when thumped.
9. Let loaves cool in pans until the bread shrinks from the sides of the pans. Remove from pans and cool on racks. Cut into 2-inch slices.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2526 Calories from Fat 85
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.6%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1081.5 mg45.1%
Total Carbohydrates 530 g176.7%
Dietary Fiber 46.9 g187.6%
Sugars 17.4 g
Protein 88 g175.2%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 177.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet