|Dry yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water.
2. Stir in honey, salt, and 1 1/4 cups flour. Beat until smooth.
3. Stir in remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes on floured surface. Cover; let rise until double, about 15 minutes.
4. Punch down and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each piece into a smooth ball; punch hole in the center and pull gently to enlarge hole and make uniform shape. Let rise 20 minutes.
5. Heat 2 quarts of water to boiling in large kettle. Reduce heat; add 4 bagels. Simmer 7 minutes, turning once.
6. Drain on kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining bagels. If desired, sprinkle bagels with chopped onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or caraway seeds.
7. Bake at 375Â° on nonstick baking sheet until bagels are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Enjoy them warm or cold.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1242 Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.6%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1001.5 mg41.7%
Total Carbohydrates 265 g88.5%
Dietary Fiber 44.7 g178.7%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 51 g101.8%
Vitamin A 0.6% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 13.3% Iron 81.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet