Green Beans with Roasted Nuts
|Green beans||200 Gram, washed, topped and tailed|
|Cashew nuts||50 Gram, cut into half lengthways|
|Almonds||30 Gram, skinned|
|Pine nuts||30 Gram|
|Streaky bacon||75 Gram|
|Nutmeg||2 Pinch (use as per taste)|
|Vegetable oil||4 Tablespoon (to shallow fry)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon (to drizzle)|
|Sea salt/Pepper||1 Tablespoon (use as per taste)|
1. Blanch the beans in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, plunge them into ice cold water to stop further cooking, drain, dry on a clean cloth and place aside in a bowl.
2. Cut off any rind from the bacon, cut into medium dice and place in a clean dish.
3. In a baking tray, sprinkle over cashews with a little vegetable oil and roast gently under the broiler or in a warm oven until lightly golden, stirring from time to time and keep aside in a bowl. Roast the almonds and pine nuts separately on the same tray under the broiler in the same way, and add to the cashews in the bowl.
4. In a wok or sauté pan over a medium heat, heat a tiny touch of vegetable oil and stir-fry diced bacon pieces for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the green beans, stir-fry for a further 2 minutes, then add the roasted nuts and mix well.
6. Remove the green beans from the heat and, using tongs, arrange the green beans on warmed plates or into a warmed serving dish.
7. Sprinkle any remaining bacon pieces and nuts over the top of the green beans.
8. Give a twist or two of coarse sea salt and freshly milled black pepper and a very light dusting of finely grated nutmeg.
9. Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Calories 417 Calories from Fat 340
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.2 mg4.4%
Sodium 1461 mg60.9%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 8 g16.8%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 0.12%
Calcium 3% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet