Eggplant And Bacon Slices
|Soft bread crumbs||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil/Sunflower oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed (optional)|
|Hickory smoked bacon||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Scallions||1⁄2 Pound, finely minced (2 bunches)|
|White bread slices||4 , crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, snipped|
1) Cut the eggplant into slices of ½-inch each and layer them in a colander. Sprinkle some salt between each layer.
2) Cover the colander with a plate and out a heavy weight on top.
3) Let the eggplant stand for about 1 hour in order to draw out the bitter juice and then risen under cold running water. Pat dry on absorbent paper towels.
4) Preheat oven to temperature of 225 degrees.
5) In a shallow dish, beat the egg.
6) On a large flat plate, spread out the bread crumbs.
7) Dip each eggplant slice first into the beaten egg and then roll in the bread crumbs till evenly coated.
8) In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of oil and add half of the eggplant slices. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, till golden brown in color.
9) Use a slotted spoon to take out the browned eggplant slices and drain them on paper towels. Keep the cooked eggplant slices warm in the preheated oven while cooking the remaining slices.
10) Once all the slices of eggplant have been cooked, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same skillet.
11) Add the bacon, scallions and diced bread, and garlic if using. Cook the ingredients for 8 to 10 minutes, occasionally stirring, till the bacon is crisp and the bread is golden brown in color.
12) Add the parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper and stir well.
13) On individual serving dishes, arrange the cooked eggplant slices and sprinkle the cooked bacon, onion and bread mixture all over. Serve while the preparation is still hot. Makes a good appetizer.