Bacon Roly-Poly Poly
Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
Button mushrooms - 100 g/4 oz, sliced
Salt - to taste
Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
Rubbed sage - 1/2 teaspoon
Dried thyme - 1/2 teaspoon
Suet Pastry :
Self-raising flour - 225 g/8 oz
Beef suet - 100 g/4 oz, shredded
Salt - pinch
Scant - 150 ml/1/4 pint water
1) Filling : In a bowl, combine the bacon, onion and mushrooms together.
2) Season with a little salt and pepper, stir in the herbs and keep aside.
3) Pastry : In a bowl, sift the flour, then stir in the suet and add a pinch of salt.
4) Mix in the ingredients with a round-bladed knife or a fork and gradually stir in water to make a soft dough.
5) Turn out the dough on a floured surface and knead lightly roll out into about 10 x 8 inches oblong.
6) Spoon the filling evenly on the pastry leaving about 1/2 in of the edge.
7) Dampen the pastry edges lightly then roll up, press and seal the edges together.
8) Gently lift the roll on a buttered foil and wrap it loosely but securely.
9) In the wok, place the roll on a steaming rack and pour in water until it reaches up the rack.
10) Bring to a boil, cover the wok and allow to steam for 1 1/2 hours.
11) Add vegetables, if any 10 to 20 minutes before the roll is cooked.
12) Remove the roll on a warmed serving plate, surround with the cooked vegetables, if desired and serve the Bacon Roly Poly immediately.