Rabbit with Bacon and Mushrooms
|Rabbit||1 Small, cut up by butcher|
|Black peppercorns||1⁄2 Teaspoon, cracked|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Whole Wheat Or White)|
|Dried dill/Marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Lean bacon strip||4 , cut into small widthwise strips|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced|
1) Wash the rabbit and place on paper towels.
2) In a zip-lock bag, add peppercorns, flour, and dill and shake well.
3) Add in the rabbit pieces and shake well.
4) In a saucepan, add bacon and crisp.
5) Leave in 2 to 3 teaspoons drippings and discard the rest.
6) Add in the rabbit and brown well.
7) Mix in onion and cook till softened.
8) Stirring the mix, if any flour-pepper mix is left over, then add in and then add the wine.
9) First make a smooth paste (except for bacon and onions), then as required, little by little, add 1 cup water to thin down the sauce.
10) Allow to boil and then lower the heat.
11) Mix in mushrooms and then partially place lid and allow to simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, till rabbit is fork-tender.
12) Sprinkle pepper and serve.