Game Hens with Bacon and Beans
|Game hens||2 (Reserve Inner Bag)|
|Onions||2 , 1 quartered, 1 sliced|
|Celery||1 Bunch (100 gm), trimmed|
|Bacon strip||4 , chopped|
|Runner beans/Any fresh beans||4 Ounce, trimmed and sliced|
|Chopped savory/1/2 teaspoon dried savory||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh thyme/1/2 teaspoon dried thyme||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
1) Wash hens and pat dry on paper towels.
2) Remove livers from inner bags and add into a saucepan with enough salted water to cover.
3) Cook, cool, and dice.
4) Keep aside the water for later use.
5) Into each hen, add 2 pieces of quartered onion and 1/2 stalk celery.
6) In a pan, arrange celery stalks (keeping aside 2) and place the birds over.
7) Place in oven at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes till golden brown. Baste with pan juices thrice during baking.
8) Slice the 2 stalks of celery.
9) In a pan, add bacon and cook.
10) Keeping back only 2 to 3 teaspoons of the drippings, add in the sliced onion, celery, beans, liver, and herbs.
11) Stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
12) Mix the flour and blend well.
13) To the reserved liver water, add enough water to bring the total liquid quantity to 1 cup.
14) Add to bacon mix and heat till gentle bubbles appear.
15) Keep stirring till the sauce thickens, then stir occasionally.
16) Keep the sauce the consistency of cream, and add water if required.
17) Place hens on serving plate, garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with a side of the gravy.