Bean and Bacon Hot Pot
|Vegetable oil||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Chipolata sausages||1 Pound (450 gram)|
|Bacon piece||1⁄2 Pound, rind removed and diced (225 gram)|
|Canned butter beans||15 Ounce (1 can, 425 gram)|
|Tomato puree||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 milliliter)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Cheddar cheese||3 Ounce, grated (75 gram, for finish)|
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/ 350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2. In a flameproof casserole dish, heat the oil and fry the onion gently for 5 minutes until soft.
3. Fry adding the sausages and bacon gently for a further 5 minutes, turning the sausages occasionally.
4. Add the butter beans, tomato puree (paste), stock and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Cover and cook in a preheated moderate oven for 40 minutes.
6. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool quickly. Leave in the casserole or pour into a rigid container. Cover, than wrap the casserole in a freezer bag or foil. Seal, label and freeze.
7. To serve the frozen dish, remove wrappings and thaw at room temperature for 4 hours.
8. Reheat in the covered casserole in a preheated moderate oven (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4) for 50 minutes.
9. Sprinkle the cheese over the top, return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
Calories 574 Calories from Fat 364
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.1%
Saturated Fat 14.2 g71.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.2 mg40.1%
Sodium 1970.8 mg82.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.6%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 36 g72%
Vitamin A 3.1% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 12.6% Iron 8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet