Herring With Bacon
|Milk||1 Teaspoon (Leveled) (Use A Little)|
|Medium oatmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Coating)|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Teaspoon (Leveled) (For Frying)|
1) When buying the fish, get the heads removed and the herrings cleaned.
2) Put the fish on a clean working surface, with the insides downwards, and press down the back to loosen the bone. Turn the fish over and pull away the bone.
3) In seasoned milk, dip both the sides of the boned herrings. Dip in the oatmeal next and coat thoroughly. Firmly pat the coating.
4) Into hot butter or margarine, place the fish with the flesh side down. Cook gently for about 4 minutes. Very carefully turn the fish to avoid any breaking and continue cooking the other side.
5) While the fish is cooking, trim the bacon rashers and grill them.
6) Put the herrings and cooked rashers on a dish and serve hot. Serve grilled tomatoes on the side if preferred.