Baked Spiced Gammon And Bacon Fritters
|Gammon slipper||2 Pound (1 Piece)|
|French mustard||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Demerara sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1) Determine the joint weight beforehand so that the cooking time can be calculated.
2) Soak the joint in cold water overnight or at least several hours before cooking.
3) Preheat oven to temperature of 355 degrees before cooking.
4) In a saucepan, place the soaked joint after draining it, with the skin side down. Cover with fresh cold water.
5) Bring the joint slowly to a boil and take out any scum that rises. Once the joint reaches the boiling point, bring the heat down and cook over low heat, covered, for about 20 minutes to each pound and an additional 20 minutes. If required, add more boiling water so that the joint remains covered.
6) From the hot liquid, lift the cooked joint and remove the rind.
7) Put the joint in a roasting tin and spread the fat with some mustard and coat with sugar.
8) With a small sharp knife, score the fat in a criss-cross design. Stud with cloves.
8) Place the tin in the center of the preheated oven and crisp the joint for about 10 minutes.
9) Serve hot with apple sauce, parsley, roast potatoes and buttered broccoli spears on the side.
Calories 679 Calories from Fat 133
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.8%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 20.8 mg0.9%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.16 g0.65%
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 129 g257.5%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0.59%
Calcium 0.1% Iron 0.21%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet