Pan Fried Catfish With Mr Joe's Tomato Gravy And Smoky Bacon
|For spice rub|
|Cayenne||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|For pan fried catfish|
|Chopped onion||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Canned drained tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hot pepper sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1 Teaspoon, dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
|Catfish fillets||24 Ounce (4 Fillets, 6 Ounce Each)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon (Or As Needed For Pan Frying)|
|Lemon wedges||4 (For Garnish)|
|Chopped parsley||4 (For Garnish)|
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine paprika, cayenne, dried thyme leaves, salt and black pepper.
2. Rub 2 or 3 teaspoons of this spice rub on both sides of each catfish fillet. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
3. In a large skillet, fry the bacon on a medium flame until it is brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon into a bowl and keep aside for later.
4. In the same skillet, reserve 2 table spoons of the bacon fat and discard the rest.
5. Add the onions in the skillet and sauté them over a medium flame till they are soft and transparent.
6. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce to the onions and simmer for 15 minutes until you get a sauce.
7. Empty the contents of the skillet into a blender or food processor and blend into a smooth puree.
8. Return the puree to the skillet, add the hot pepper sauce, seasonings and sugar to the sauce.
9. Bring the sauce to a boil over a medium flame, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
10. When the sauce starts to boil, reduce the flame and pour in the corn flour liquid, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
11. Take the skillet off the heat and keep warm.
12. In an ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over a medium flame.
13. When the oil is hot, arrange the fish fillets and cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
14. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and allow the fish to cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
15. Heat the bacon in the oven as well. .
16. On each for the 4 serving plates, spoon the warm sauce in the center.
17. Place a fish fillet over the pool of sauce.
18. Garnish with 2 slices of bacon, lemon wedge and chopped parsley.