Roasted Sweet Onion with Bacon Frisee and Parmesan
|Smoked bacon slices||4 , cut in 1/2 inch pieces|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), peeled|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Fennel bulb||1 , cut and separated into long thin strips|
|Red bell pepper||1 , cored and cut into long thin strips|
|Finely chopped thyme||1 Tablespoon (Fresh)|
|Sherry vinegar/White wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|White onions||3 Small, peeled, cut in half crosswise|
|Finely grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Cut 6, 8 inches squares of aluminum foil.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. In a skillet, fry the bacon strips until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove the bacon to a bowl and drain off the fat.
4. In the same skillet, heat the olive oil and combine the garlic, fennel, peppers and thyme. Sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add the seasoning and vinegar to the pan and sauté for another 2 minutes.
6. One each of the 6 foil squares, place an onion half (cut side up) in the center.
7. Dividing the pepper mixture equally, spoon the mixture on top of the onions.
8. Wrap each packet and seal well at the top.
9. Place the six packets on a baking sheet.
10. Place the baking sheet on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes until the onions are soft.
11. On each serving plate, make a bed of lettuce.
12. Carefully unwrapping the foil packet, transfer the onion and peppers onto the lettuce bed.
13. Pour the cooking juices collected in the foil, over the salad.
14. Garnish with Parmesan and serve warm.