Baked Beans in a Dutch Oven
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Chopped garlic||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry navy beans||1 Pound, soaked overnight|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned tomato paste||6 Ounce|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Yellow mustard||2 Tablespoon|
1. Drain the soaking water and refill with fresh water just to cover the beans.
2. In a Dutch oven or stock pot, place the bacon slice, and cook it until it starts rendering fat.
3. Add in the onion and garlic and stir well and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
4. Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
5. Put in the beans along with water and pour in chicken broth.
6. Put the lid on and bring to a boil, allow to simmer on medium heat until the beans are tender for about 1 hour.
7. You can remove the bacon slices if desired.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
9. Turn of the heat and add in the brown sugar, molasses, tomato paste, chilli powder and apple cider vinegar and stir well to mix.
10. Add in the mustard and stir to mix.
11. Put the lid on and place it in the oven and cook for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to 250 degree F and cook for another 60 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven and serve hot as desired.
Calories 568 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.8%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg3.3%
Sodium 751 mg31.3%
Total Carbohydrates 111 g37%
Dietary Fiber 20.6 g82.2%
Sugars 57.1 g
Protein 22 g44.7%
Vitamin A 13.7% Vitamin C 16.8%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 36.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet