1. Drain the soaking water and refill with fresh water just to cover the beans.
2. In a Dutch oven or stock pot, place the bacon slice, and cook it until it starts rendering fat.
3. Add in the onion and garlic and stir well and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
4. Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
5. Put in the beans along with water and pour in chicken broth.
6. Put the lid on and bring to a boil, allow to simmer on medium heat until the beans are tender for about 1 hour.
7. You can remove the bacon slices if desired.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
9. Turn of the heat and add in the brown sugar, molasses, tomato paste, chilli powder and apple cider vinegar and stir well to mix.
10. Add in the mustard and stir to mix.
11. Put the lid on and place it in the oven and cook for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to 250 degree F and cook for another 60 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven and serve hot as desired.
If you have never heard of Dutch oven baked beans, the you should be watching this video. I bet you will fall in love with the cooking method at the end of the video. Dave choose to cook with dried baked beans and the outcome is a superbly looking delicious dish. The dish takes hours to cook but it’s all worth at the end because efforts are less and outcome is yummy.