Cooking with Fairway Market: How to Make Killer Asparagus: 3 Ways
|For the asparagus hollandaise|
|Asparagus||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
|Clarified butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Small|
|Tabasco sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||5 Pinch, divided (Fairway)|
|Pepper||2 Pinch (Tellicherry Pepper, Fairway)|
|For the asparagus parmigiano with serrano ham|
|Asparagus||1 Bunch (100 gm) (ends trimmed)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon, divided (Fairway)|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Parmigiano reggiano cheese||4 Tablespoon, shave|
|Serrano ham||78 Gram, thinly sliced (12 slices)|
|For asparagus risotto|
|Asparagus||3 Bunch (300 gm)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), divided|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), smashed|
|Chicken stock||6 Cup (96 tbs), divided|
|Arborio rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|White wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parmigiano reggiano cheese||3 Tablespoon, grated|
|Sea salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Fairway)|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Fairway)|
FOR THE ASPARAGUS HOLLANDAISE
1. Wash the asparagus under cold running water, add it to a deep saucepan with salted water and poach it for 5-7 minutes.
2. After 7 minutes, remove the asparagus and drain it on a paper towel.
3. Keeps the saucepan with water simmering on low heat.
4. Start on the hollandaise, in a medium size stainless steel bowl, place the egg yolks and whisk for 30 seconds.
5. Place the bowl of egg yolks over the deep saucepan of simmering water.
6. Ensure that the bottom is not touching the water.
7. Whisk vigorously for 3-4 minutes or until the egg yolks thickens or turn pale in color.
8. Once the egg yolks reaches that stage, remove the bowl from the saucepan and slowly add the clarified butter and combine until all butter is incorporated.
9. Add 3 pinches of sea salt and some fresh pepper, whisk and combine.
10. Add the lemon juice and Tabasco sauce and whisk to combine.
11. Drizzle a spoonful of the hollandaise sauce over the cooked asparagus and sprinkle some sea salt and serve.
FOR THE ASPARAGUS PARMIGIANO WITH SERRANO HAM
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Wash and trim of the edges from the asparagus.
3. Prepare a cookie sheet.
4. Place the asparagus on the cookie sheet, drizzle 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
5. Roast the asparagus in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
6. Once done remove and sprinkle generous amount of parmigiano reggiano cheese on top.
7. Place the asparagus back in the oven for 5 more minutes or until the cheese has melted.
8. Wrap 4-5 spears with two slices of Serrano ham slices, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and serve.
FOR THE ASPARAGUS RISOTTO
1. Wash and drain the asparagus. Cut off the tips and reserve, discard the woody ends of the stalks and cut them in 1 inch pieces.
2. In a heavy pan sauté the garlic in ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
3. After 5 minutes remove the garlic from the oil and discard them.
4. Add the chopped asparagus in the garlic infused oil and sauté for 3 minutes.
5. In a food processor puree the 2 cups chicken broth along with the sautéed asparagus, once done set it aside in a bowl.
6. In the same pan add ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil and heat up the oil over medium heat.
7. Add the rice and toast it for 3-4 minutes un the oil, stirring occasionally.
8. Add the white wine and simmer until reduced by half for about 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Add the remaining 4 cups of chicken stock and bring it to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, keep stirring often.
10. Add the asparagus puree to the rice and continue stir and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
11. Once done remove the risotto from the heat and add the butter and parmigiano-reggiano, stir until well incorporated.
12. Season with sea salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
You can add the reserved asparagus tips whole, to rice mixture when you add the puree.