Tender Asparagus Spears with Cannellini Bean Sauce
|Sea salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Canned cannellini beans||15 Ounce (Undrained)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Ripe tomato||1 Medium, cut in 0.5 -inch dice|
|Basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Flax oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chives||1 Tablespoon, snipped|
1. Place a large pot of water over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
2. Heat the olive oil gently in a large pan and add the onion, stirring well.
3. When the onion begins to soften, squeeze the garlic through a garlic press into the pan.
4. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, cannellini beans, and vinegar.
5. Stir thoroughly but gently, to avoid crushing any of the beans.
6. Bring to a simmer, set the heat to very low, and then cover.
7. Continue to cook, stirring often, while you proceed with the asparagus.
8. Once the pot of salted water has come to a furious boil, drop in the asparagus spears and stir once. Depending on the thickness of the asparagus, they should be cooked until just tender-crisp, about 1 minute.
9. When they are done to your satisfaction, drain well.
10. Remove the beans from the heat and stir in the diced tomato, chopped basil, and flax oil.
11. Divide the asparagus among 4 plates and top with the bean mixture.
12. Garnish with the chives, if using, and serve at once.