Asparagus And Tomato Layer
|Asparagus spears||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Tomatoes||1 Pound, peeled and sliced|
|Chopped fresh basil/Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) Rinse the asparagus stalks thoroughly in cold water. Trim the base of each spear, leaving about ¾-inch of the harder white stalk.
3) In a pan large enough to hold them while they are lying flat, put the asparagus. Pour over just enough boiling water to cover and add a pinch of salt.
4) Cover the pan and gently simmer for about 10 minutes, till the asparagus is half cooked.
5) With a spatula, life the asparagus out very carefully and drain on a folded dish towel.
6) In a shallow heatproof serving dish, put half of the asparagus.
7) Over the asparagus, arrange half of the sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle with half of the basil and salt and pepper to taste. Dot with butter.
8) Layer the remaining asparagus, tomatoes and basil as before and sprinkle with some more salt and pepper to taste.
9) Over the top, sprinkle the cheese and cook in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
10) Transfer the freshly baked preparation to a serving platter and serve right away, while still hot.