|Fresh asparagus||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Cut off and discard the tough ends of asparagus stalks.
2) Wash the tips of asparagus well with cold water; if necessary, use a soft brush to remove grit.
3) Using a vegetable parer, scrape skin and scales from lower part of stalk only.
4) With the help of a knife, cut stalks on the diagonal, making bias slices about 1 inch long and 1/4 inch thick.
5) In large skillet with tight-fitting cover, boil butter with 1/3 cup water.
6) Add asparagus, salt, and pepper; cover the pan and cook over high heat for 5 to 8 minutes, adding a little more water if required.
7) Asparagus should be fork-tender, and water should be evaporated.
8) Serve the boiled asparagus as side dish.
Calories 203 Calories from Fat 95
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.6%
Saturated Fat 6.6 g33.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.9 mg9%
Sodium 174.7 mg7.3%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 11.9 g47.6%
Sugars 10.7 g
Protein 13 g25.2%
Vitamin A 92% Vitamin C 52.9%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 67.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet