Scallop Asparagus Stir Fry with Curried Rice
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, coarsely chopped|
|Curry powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Oriental sesame oil||2 Tablespoon (Dark Oil)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Scallions||4 , thickly sliced|
|Minced fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sea scallops||1 Pound|
|Asparagus||1⁄4 Pound, cut into 2-inch lengths|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, cut into thin strips|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. In a medium saucepan, warm the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the curry powder. Add the rice, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of the broth, the salt, and sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, scallions, and ginger, and stir-fry until the scallions are softened, about 3 minutes.
4. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch and black pepper. Dredge the scallops in the cornstarch mixture. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil and the scallops to the skillet, and stir-fry until the scallops begin to brown, about 4 minutes.
5. Add the asparagus, bell pepper, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and the remaining 1/4 cup broth and 1 tablespoon curry powder. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring often, until the scallops are cooked through, about 7 minutes.
6. Serve the scallops over the curried rice.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1996 Calories from Fat 502
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g87.9%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 149.7 mg49.9%
Sodium 3036.8 mg126.5%
Total Carbohydrates 268 g89.4%
Dietary Fiber 28 g112%
Sugars 19 g
Protein 106 g211.6%
Vitamin A 122.8% Vitamin C 355.8%
Calcium 52.5% Iron 120.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet