Korean Food: Spicy Mackerel Fish Stew (고등어 조림)
|Blue mackerel||145 Gram (1 can or 1 Blue Mackerel)|
|Korean radish||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled and cut into big chunks|
|Onion||1⁄2 , cut into 2-inch pieces|
|Green onion||1 , cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Hot pepper||1 , chop|
|Dried anchovy||6 (or 1 Dried Anchovy Pack)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Red pepper paste||2 Tablespoon (Also called Gochujang)|
|Red pepper powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cooking wine||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Soup soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. In a pan add water, dried anchovy pack and the radish chunks and bring it to boil and let it boil for 5 minutes on high.
2. Take the canned mackerel (you can use fresh or frozen blue mackerel also) and drain away all the liquid from the can. Clean the skin and bones with a fork and rinse them with water.
3. After 5 minutes remove the anchovy pack from the broth and cook for 5 more minutes. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and mix well.
4. Put the mackerel on top of the radish in the simmering broth. Pour the sauce on top of the mackerel and add the onions as well. Occasionally spoon the stew broth over the fish and radish. Do not stir the mixture. Simmer on medium high heat till the stew reduces to half the quantity.
5. When the radish is soft enough to poke with the fork it is done cooking. Once the radish and fish are cooked, add the green onion and hot peppers on top of the stew. Simmer for 2 more minutes and turn off the heat.
6. Serve warm with other Korean side dishes.
Calories 354 Calories from Fat 148
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.8%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 102.8 mg34.3%
Sodium 2150 mg89.6%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 25 g50.8%
Vitamin A 15.5% Vitamin C 65.9%
Calcium 31.9% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet