Korean Food: Spicy Beef Soup (육개장 = YukGaeJang)
|Beef brisket||8 Ounce|
|Mung bean sprouts||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1½ Handfuls)|
|Soaked fernbrake||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), cut into 2-inch pieces (or 1 Handful Dried Fernbrake)|
|Soaked taro stem/Oyster mushroom||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into 2-inch pieces (or 1 Handful Dried Taro Stems)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Beef broth ingredients:|
|Water||10 1⁄2 Cup (168 tbs)|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm)|
|Green onions||2 , cut into 2-inch pieces|
|Salt||2 Pinch (1 pinch used for boiling the fernbrake, tarostem and mung bean sprouts each)|
|Red pepper powder||3 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Soup soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon|
1. For broth, take a saucepan, add water, beef brisket, onion, green onions, garlic and pepper corns. Boil for 45 minutes on medium high heat. Occasionally remove the foam from the surface of the broth.
2. Meanwhile take a pan and boil fernbrake and taro stem for 30 minutes on high or until they are soft.
3. Boil mung bean sprout with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Drain.
4. After the beef is cooked remove from the broth and drain the broth. Discard the other cooked spices and vegetables in the broth, retain the broth to use later in the recipe.
5. Cut the cooked beef (after its cooled) into thin pieces or tear/shred them with your fingers.
6. In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the sauce and mix them well.
7. In a large pan add the cut meat, vegetables and the sauce. Mix them all together and set it aside for 20 minutes so that all the vegetables and meat get the flavor of the spices.
8. After 20 minutes fry it for about 5 minutes on high heat. Pour the broth int this pan and cook for 20 minutes on medium high heat. After boiling the soup for 20 minutes reduce the temperature to medium.
9. In a small bowl break one egg and mix well. Slowly pour this egg mixture into the simmering soup. Do not stir too much. Boil till the egg is cooked and turn off the heat.
10. Serve warm immediately but it is best served the next day as its taste blooms and is better as a result.
Calories 197 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.5%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 34 mg11.3%
Sodium 505.6 mg21.1%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.8%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 9 g18%
Vitamin A 36.9% Vitamin C 36.2%
Calcium 4.5% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet