Korean Food: SoGoGi JangJoRim (소고기 장조림)
|Beef||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut it into large chunks (Brisket or eye of round)|
|Eggs||6 Large (Hard boiled)|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooking wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red hot pepper||1 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Green hot pepper||1 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Garlic cloves||12 Medium|
|Green onions||3 Large, cut into 2 or 3 pieces|
|Dried hot peppers||2 Medium|
1. Cut the beef into chunks and soak the beef chunks in water for 30 minutes and drain to clean it well.
2. To make the broth take a large sauce pan, pour water. Add the beef chunks, garlic cloves, green onions, hot peppers, ginger and pepper corns. Boil it for 20 minutes on medium heat and ocassionally keep removing the foam that forms on the top of the boiling broth.
3. Meanwhile in another saucepan boil 6 eggs by submerging them fully in boiling water.
4. After 20 minutes to the sauce pan with the beef and broth add soy sauce, cooking wine and sugar and cook for 10 more minutes. After 10 minutes check if the beef is cooked.
5. Take the beef out of the broth and drain, retain the broth for the next steps of this recipe. Discard the spices.
6. Cut the cooked chunks into thin pieces with a knife or tear/shred them with your hand.
7. In a pan now combine the beef, peeled eggs, peppers and the broth. Boil it for 10 minutes on high heat and reduce the heat and boil for 5 minutes on low.
8. Once the prepared broth with beef is cooled put it in a glass jar and refrigerate it.
9. Serve the beef with the eggs and broth together. Eggs can be cut into halves to serve.
The chef also has important tips on boiling eggs in the video which would help in making that perfect hard boiled egg.