Sweet And Sour Chicken, Tang Soo Yuk, 탕수육
|To season the chicken pieces|
|Chicken meat||1 1⁄8 Pound (1 Lb 2 oz used)|
|Salt||To Taste (As required)|
|Black pepper||To Taste (As required)|
|For the sauce|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped|
|Zucchini||1⁄2 Medium, sliced|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Medium, sliced|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 Medium, sliced|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Large, chopped (Large Korean Carrot) (Optional)|
|Apple||1 Medium, sliced (Optional)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Korean Apple Vinegar used)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon (Regular) (Optional)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Potato starch||1 Tablespoon (Dissolved in 1/4 Cup of cold water)|
|To coat the chicken pieces|
|Eggs||6 Medium, beaten|
|Potato starch||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As needed to coat the chicken pieces)|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|For frying the chicken|
|Vegetable oil||4 Cup (64 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. Slice all the vegetables and fruit.
2. Cut chicken into small pieces. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chicken.
3. Pre-heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer for deep-frying (350 F or 180 C). Make sure there is enough oil for the chicken to be completely immersed when frying. (This can be done in a pot as well)
4. Heat a pot on high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and minced garlic. Add all vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of water, 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of sugar and mix well. Bring it to boil and reduce the heat to low.
6. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce for color and season with salt and black pepper.
7. In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp of potato starch with 1/4 cup of cold water. (Add a little more water if potato starch is not completely dissolved). Add the starch mix to the sauce slowly on low heat. Mix well and let me simmer on lowest heat to keep it warm.
8. Beat 6 eggs with salt and pepper. Spread potato starch on a large plate or tray and drench chicken pieces in the potato starch lightly. Shake off excess starch. Then, dip in the egg mix.
9. Deep-fry the chicken until golden brown color for about 10 minutes. Place on paper towel to drain all the fat.
10. Serve on a plate and pour the sauce on top. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top (optional).