Korean Food: Radish Kimchi (깍두기)
|Daikon radish||6 Cup (96 tbs), peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Green onions||2 Large, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (Salt rub and salt is washed away)|
|For the rice paste|
|Sweet rice flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the sauce|
|Red pepper powder||4 Tablespoon|
|Fish sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced ginger||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Chop the radish into 1 inch cubes, cut the green onions on the bias and into 1 inch pieces.
2. Take a large bowl and mix the radish pieces with salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. In a microwave safe bowl to make the rice paste, mix the sweet rice flour with water. Cook for 1 minute. Then take it out and stir it well. Once again cook it in the microwave oven for 1 minute, and take it out and stir. Repeat the process till you get a paste-like consistency. (You might have to do it about 3 - 4 times)
3. After 30 minutes of setting the radish pieces aside, rinse the pieces twice in water and drain.
4. To make the kimchi paste (sauce), take a large bowl and add 1/2 cup of the rice paste, garlic, ginger, sugar, red pepper powder, fish sauce, salt and mix well.
5. Add the radish pieces into the paste and combine well. Then add the green onions and combine again.
6. Transfer the sauce coated kimchi into a glass jar and leave outside for a day and then refrigerate it until use.
7. Best served chilled as a side dish to your favorite Korean dishes and snacks.
Calories 119 Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.4%
Saturated Fat 0.31 g1.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1725.4 mg71.9%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.3%
Sugars 4.4 g
Protein 6 g12.2%
Vitamin A 16.8% Vitamin C 24.3%
Calcium 1.6% Iron 2.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet