Korean Snack : Skewered Sticky Rice Cakes(떡꼬치)
|Rice cakes||20 (Sticky rice cakes)|
|Oil||3 Tablespoon (For frying)|
|For the sauce:|
|Red pepper paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Honey/Corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Mirin rice wine||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Onion juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic cloves||1|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped peanuts||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. Boil the frozen cakes for 1 minute, or until soft. If it's not frozen then boil for 30 seconds. Drain the water once done.
2. Separate the rice cakes and align the rice cakes together and cut them into half. Put 4 or 5 rice cakes into one stick.
3. In a pan add soy sauce, cooking wine (Mirim), onion juice, minced garlic, sesame oil, sugar, ketchup, red pepper paste, honey, black pepper and mix well.
4. Cook the sauce using a medium heat till it boils.
5. Take a pan and pour some oil in it. Place the rice cakes arranged in the skewers into the pan and fry them till they turn golden brown in color. Use chopsticks or tongs to flip them.
6. Coat the fried rice cakes with the sauce using a brush or a spoon.
7. Serve warm with cold or hot beverages.
You can use a garlic mincer to squeeze out onion juice form the onion.
Peanuts can be chopped/crushed using a sandwich bag as shown in the video.