Dr. Gong Pork and Chicken Wontons - Part 2
|Pork tenderloin||1⁄2 Pound, trimmed of all visible fat (For Wontons)|
|Sesame oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For the Dipping Sauce)|
|Soy sauce||10 Tablespoon (For the Dipping Sauce)|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced (For Wontons)|
|Black peppercorns||1⁄8 Teaspoon (For Wontons)|
|Water chestnut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced (For Wontons)|
|Wonton wrappers||32 Medium (3 inch For Wontons)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (For Wontons)|
|Asian dark sesame oil||1 Teaspoon (For Wontons)|
|Cornstarch||1 Tablespoon (For Wontons)|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||2 Tablespoon (For Wontons)|
|Chinese cooking wine||1 Tablespoon (Rice wine)|
|Fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon, peeled and minced (For Wontons)|
|Scallions||4 Medium, finely chopped (For Wontons)|
|Ground chicken/Ground turkey||1⁄2 Pound (For Wontons)|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon (For the Dipping Sauce)|
1. In a bowl, add ground pork and chicken to make the wonton filling.
2. To the above, add ginger paste, garlic paste, cornstarch, finely chopped scallions, seasame oil, freshly cut ginger root, black pepper powder, and sherry and mix well.
3. To make a wonton, place a teaspoon of the wonton filling in the center of each wonton wrapper/ patties.
4. To wrap the wonton filling, dab little water on the sides of the wrapper.
5. Now fold the sides of the wrapper to form a triangle.
6. At one end of the triangle make small folds so they overlap each other.
7. To cook the wontons, place the prepared wonton wrappers in a bamboo steamer or any other steaming appliance and cook for about 10 mins.
8. In a bowl mix together 1/2 teaspoon of ginger paste, 10 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil to make the ginger soy sauce or dipping sauce while the wontons are cooking. Stir well and let it sit until the wonton's are cooked.
9. Serve the wontons along with the ginger soy dipping sauce and garnish the plate with some chopped cilantro.
You can also use turkey along with ground pork or ground chicken.
You can also add a quater cup of water chestnut to the wonton filling.
You can add some chili paste to the wonton filling for more spice.
Ready-made wonton dough patties can also be used to make ravioli.
Fresh ginger root is a natural way to control nausea in pregnant women who can't take any medications.
Calories 429 Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.7%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g12.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 91.9 mg30.6%
Sodium 2976.8 mg124%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.1%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 32 g63.7%
Vitamin A 3.2% Vitamin C 7.1%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 25.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet