Spicy Mutton Biryani
|Lamb/Goat meat||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|Finely sliced onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cardamom||4 , ground|
|Peppercorns||10 , ground|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Meat masala||1 Tablespoon|
|Yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Cooking oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Basmati rice||3 Cup (48 tbs), washed and soaked in water for 30 min|
|Kewra water||2 Tablespoon|
|Saffron||1 Pinch, soaked in 2 tbsp hot milk|
|Water||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
1. The preparation is 3 step process. First is to make the mutton curry, along with the rice, and then finally mixing them together. The ingredients lists are arranged in that order also. First to prepare the spicy Mutton curry.
2. Heat 4 tbsp of mustard oil (or any other cooking oil) in a pressure cooker. Add the grinded cardamom, peppercorns and bay leaf. Fry for one minute.
3. Add the sliced onions and fry till light golden brown.
4. Add the mutton cubes and keep on frying till it is fried properly (light brown).
5. Add ginger, garlic and onion paste and mix properly. Fry for 5 minutes.
6. Add the tomato puree, meat masala, yogurt and mix properly. In medium heat keep on frying till oil starts leaving the side of the pan.
7. Make sure the mutton is cooked properly, otherwise steam it 4 or 5 times in the pressure cooker. Keep it aside.
8. Steps to make the rice:
9. In a saucepan add everything from bay leaf (for rice) to Basmati Rice. Boil the rice till it is half cooked. NOTE: Do not overcook the rice.
10. Remove the rice by draining the water mixed with spices. DO NOT THROW THIS SPICY WATER AWAY. It will be used later.
11. Final Step to make the biryani:
12. In a pressure cooker, add one layer of mutton, then one layer of rice, then again mutton and so on. Add Kewra water, 1/4 cup of spicy water, ghee, and saffron.
13. Steam for 15 minutes without the whistle. Check in between to see if the rice is cooked. For those who are not comfortable using pressure cooker, you can use rice cooker instead.
Calories 773 Calories from Fat 316
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.6%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g65.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 91.3 mg30.4%
Sodium 173.4 mg7.2%
Total Carbohydrates 82 g27.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.1%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 29 g57.8%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 34.1%
Calcium 8.2% Iron 18.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet