Seafood Bibimbap (Tong-yeong Bibimbap) & Nakji Bibimbap: The Epic of Bibimbap - Part 2
|For seafood bibimbap|
|Short grain rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked, drained|
|For sea mustard (miyeok)- seafood bibimbap|
|Sea mustard||7 Gram, soaked (Miyeok or Brown Seaweed)|
|Chopped green onion||1 Teaspoon|
|Minced garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Prepare hijiki seaweed (tot-namul) for seafood bibimbap|
|Hijiki seaweed||70 Gram (Tot-namul (fresh, frozen or dried))|
|Coarse sea salt||1 Tablespoon (Salt rub and salt is washed away)|
|Tofu||40 Gram, crush (soft or regular)|
|For shrimp- seafood bibimbap|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch|
|For mussel - seafood bibimbap|
|For vegetable- seafood bibimbap|
|Zucchini||30 Gram, julienned (Korean or regular)|
|Radish||200 Gram, julienned|
|Sesame oil||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|For clam broth- seafood bibimbap|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Soy sauce for soup||1 Tablespoon (Gukganjang or regular soy sauce)|
|Anchovy fish sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped green onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Serving for seafood bibimbap|
|Red chili paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
|Sesame oil||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon|
|Topping for nakji bibimbap|
|Radish sprouts||1⁄2 Ounce (or other green sprouts)|
|Red leaf lettuce leaves||3 (or other salad greens)|
|Perilla leaves||1⁄2 Ounce (Optional)|
|Garlic chives||1⁄2 Ounce (Optional)|
|Seaweed sheet||1⁄2 (dried and roasted) (Optional)|
|For nakji bokkeum|
|Nakji bokkeum||3 Cup (48 tbs) (as needed)|
|Cooked rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (as needed)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon|
For Seafood Bibimbap:
1. Soak sea mustard (miyeok) in water for at least 3 hours or overnight. Wash thoroughly under cold water 2-3 times and let drain.
For Hijiki Seaweed (tot-namul):
2. Sprinkle salt over Hijiki seaweed and message for a minute to clean. Wash thoroughly 2-3 times and drain completely.
3. In salted cold water, thaw mussels, clams, and shrimp. Rinse and drain well.
For Clam Broth:
4. In a pot, boil kelp in water over medium flame for 15 minutes. Set aside. Use 1 cup of broth for cooking clam and remaining for seasoning.
5. In a pan, sauté clams over medium flame for 1 minute. Pour a cup of broth; add soy sauce, anchovy fish sauce, garlic, and green onion. Bring to a boil over medium flame. Set aside to serve as topping.
6. In a pan, sauté shrimp over medium flame for 1 minute with sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
7. In a separate pan, sauté mussels for 1 minute or until cooked through over medium flame with sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
8. In a pan, sauté radish in sesame oil for 1 minute over medium flame. Add 1-2 tablespoon of clam broth and sauté for another minute. Set aside.
9. Now, sauté zucchini with 1 teaspoon sesame oil over medium flame for 1 minute and then season with 1-2 tablespoon clam broth. Cook for another minute.
For Sea Mustard (miyeok)
10. Season soaked sea mustard with 2-3 tablespoon clam broth, sesame oil, green onion, and minced garlic. Set aside.
For Hijiki Seaweed (tot-namul):
11. Blanch seaweed in salted boiling water for 1 minute, rinse in cold water and drain completely. Cut into bite size pieces and set aside.
12. Season with 2-3 tablespoon clam broth, sesame oil, chopped green onion, and minced garlic.
13. In a bowl, crush tofu with back of spoon and add it into the Hijiki seaweed mixture. Mix well.
14. In a large bowl, place 1-2 cups of cooked rice. Arrange all topping on the rice so that contrasting colors are beside each other.
15. Serve with red chili paste and sesame oil on the side.
You can add other namuls like gosari (fernbrake), spinach, soybean sprouts, gaji (eggplant) etc.
For Nakji Bibimbap
1. Cut off the roots of radish sprouts, wash thoroughly under cold water and drain well.
2. Wash and dry the lettuce leaves and cut into bite size pieces.
3. Wash, dry, fold and cut perilla leaves into strips.
4. Wash, dry and cut garlic chives.
5. Cut seaweed into strips and set all the toping separately aside.
6. Prepare Nakji bokkeum (small octopus).
7. Coat stone bowl with sesame oil and add rice. Cook on low heat until the crusty bottom is formed.
8. Arrange all the topping over rice and sprinkle sesame seeds.
9. Serve and enjoy!
You can also prepare Kong namul (soybean sprouts) for topping.
Time for Seafood Bibimbap- Prep time=40 minutes, Inactive time=180 minutes, cooking time=40minutes.
Time for Nakji (Small Octopus) = Prep time= 40 minutes, Cook time=20 minutes.
Calories 404 Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.5%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.5 mg17.5%
Sodium 902.9 mg37.6%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.6%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 20 g40%
Vitamin A 41.3% Vitamin C 23.6%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 43.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet