Hello everyone! I hope you are all enjoying this fall season! Today I wanted to share with you a recipe called Khoresht Aloo Esfenaj which is a Persian stew made with spinach and dried plums. There are two different types of dried plums you can use, the Persian plums which are small, golden, sweet and tart or regular prunes which are large, purple and really sweet. This dish is delicious with either plum. So give both of them a try!
|Chicken breast||1 Large , cubed into 1 inch piece (or 3/4 pound beef or lamb)|
|Onion||1 Medium , chopped|
|Oil||8 Tablespoon , divided (3 tablespoon for spinach, 4 tablespoon for onion and 1 tablespoon for khoresht)|
|Dried golden plums/Pitted prunes||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||7 Tablespoon , divided (4|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon , divided|
|Pepper||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Spinach||1 1/2 Pound , washed|
1. In a food processor, add in the spinach and chop. Set aside.
2. Heat a pan on medium and add in the spinach, season with 2 pinches of salt. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
3. Add 2 ½ tablespoon of oil and fry the spinach for 5 minutes on medium. Set aside.
4. In a large pot, add 4 tablespoon of oil and onion. Cook on medium heat until it turns golden brown, it will take about 12 minutes.
5. Season with turmeric powder and stir for 1 minute.
6. Add in the chicken and fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper and 4 tablespoon lemon juice. Pour in the water, followed by dried golden plums and stir. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 20 minutes on medium – high heat.
7. After 20 minutes check the seasoning and add in 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper (or adjust as per your taste). Stir well.
8. Season with remaining lemon juice and oil. Turn the heat to medium and partially cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. After 15 minutes stir the stew and turn the heat to medium – low. Again cover the pot partially and simmer for 15 minutes.
10. After 15 minutes stir and turn the heat to low. Partially cover with the lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
11. Serve the stew with rice.
*You can substitute the chicken breast with 1/2 lb - 3/4 lb of beef or lamb cut into 1" pieces.
*If you are vegetarian you can omit the meat all together, but you may want to throw in some extra dried plums.
*Please taste to adjust your seasonings. As you saw in the video I added more lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Calories 451Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.2%
Saturated Fat 4 g20%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 677 mg28.21%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.7%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 19 g38%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1804Calories from Fat 1120
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 128 g196.8%
Saturated Fat 16 g80%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2708 mg112.84%
Total Carbohydrates 104 g34.8%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 36 g
Protein 76 g152%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet