How to Make Authentic Galbi: Wang Galbi, the King of Galbi & its Royal Cousin, DdukGalbi, Korean BBQ
|For wang galbi|
|Beef short ribs||793 Gram (1 lb 12 oz, King cut)|
|Korean pear/Asian pear||1⁄2 , peeled, grounded|
|Korean rice wine||2 Tablespoon|
|Pine nuts/Sesame seed||1 Ounce, ground (Optional)|
|Marinade for wang galbi|
|Soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, peeled, ground|
|Chopped green onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For dduk galbi|
|Beef short rib||600 Gram|
|Marinade for dduk galbi|
|Soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped green onion||4 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch|
|Sesame seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Korean pear/Asian pear||2 Tablespoon, mince|
|Korean rice wine||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
For Wang Galbi
1. Soak ribs in cold water for 60 minutes to remove blood.
2. Cut ribs into thin strips and score on both sides as shown in the video.
3. In a bowl, combine grounded pear with Korean rice wine. Rub it on both sides of meat and place in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
4. In a bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, onion, green onion, minced garlic, sesame seed, and black pepper.
5. Rub the marinade on both sides of meat, massage well and keep in fridge for at least 3 hours.
6. Preheat grill.
7. Place meat on grill and cook for about 5-10 minutes, basting with the remaining marinade for extra flavor.
8. Sprinkle ground pine nuts on top and serve hot.
For Dduk Galbi:
1. Remove meat from bones. Cut excess fat, chop it finely and set aside. You may also grind it, if desired.
2. In a bowl combine, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, onion, sesame oil, green onion, black pepper, sesame seed, Korean pear, and rice wine.
3. Mix the marinade into the meat and massage for a few minutes.
4. Make roughly shaped rectangular patties. Lightly coat the bones with flour and place patties back into the bones covering all sides or you can simply cook as patties.
5. Place patties on a plate, cover and pop in refrigerator for about 3 hours.
6. Preheat grill.
7. Place patties on grill and cook on both side until done and nicely browned.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Calories 674 Calories from Fat 498
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g85.5%
Saturated Fat 22.4 g112.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg35.2%
Sodium 558.7 mg23.3%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6%
Sugars 9.2 g
Protein 22 g44.8%
Vitamin A 7.2% Vitamin C 11.2%
Calcium 5.3% Iron 15.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet