San Jeok, Korean Beef and Vegetable Skewers
|Beef sirloin steak||11 Ounce, cut into 2 inch strips|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Large, peeled, cut into 2 inch strips|
|Rice cake||7 Ounce, cut into 2 inch strip or tubes (Optional)|
|Crab meat||7 Ounce, cut into 2 inch strips (Optional)|
|Soy sauce||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), divided|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), divided|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
1. Wash a pat dry the mushrooms. Remove the stem and cut the caps into 2 inch strips.
2. Clean the green onions and cut the green part into 2 inch strips and chop the white part. Put them separately.
3. MARINADE: In a bowl, add 3 tablespoon soy sauce, sugar, 2 tablespoon water, sesame oil, chopped garlic, chopped green onion, black pepper. Mix them well till combined.
4. In separate bowls, take beef strips and mushroom strips.
5. Pour 1/3 of the marinade into mushroom bowl and mix them well. Pour the rest of the marinade into the beef bowl and mix well. Marinate for around 30 minutes.
6. In a wide bowl, add the eggs and salt. Mix well till combined. Set aside.
7. In a plate, put the flour.
8. In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Put the carrot strips and season with salt and pepper. Saute till tender and set aside.
9. Take a skewer and thread beef, mushroom, green onion, crab meat, rice cake, carrots in order as desired.
10. Dredge them in the flour. Shake off excess flour.
11. Dip them in the egg mixture to coat well.
12. In a pan, heat vegetable oil on medium heat. Place the skewers and cook them on 1 side for 5 minutes till golden. Flip and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
13. Transfer them onto paper towels to drain off excess oil.
14. DIPPING SAUCE: In a bowl, mix 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon water and vinegar.
15. In a serving plate, arrange the skewers and serve with the dipping sauce.
To make this dish lacto-ovo vegetarian, omit the beef and crab meat.
Calories 1976 Calories from Fat 811
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 92 g140.8%
Saturated Fat 18.5 g92.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 259.4 mg86.5%
Sodium 4824 mg201%
Total Carbohydrates 207 g69%
Dietary Fiber 11.9 g47.5%
Sugars 20.2 g
Protein 81 g161.2%
Vitamin A 83.9% Vitamin C 23.1%
Calcium 15.4% Iron 76.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet