Makdoos- Makdous- مكدوس
|Salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Walnuts||3 Cup (48 tbs), ctushed|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced (Optional)|
|Red chili pepper paste/Sweet red peppers||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Cut out the green tops of the eggplant and wash.
2. In a large pot add in the eggplants and pour in the water, till above the eggplant. Boil for 20 minutes.
3. Drain the eggplant from the hot water and place immediately in ice cold water to stop further cooking. Drain again.
4. Make small slit in each eggplant and add in the salt over the eggplants and inside the slit.
5. Place the eggplants in a colander; add a heavy object on top of it to help drain the water. Place in refrigerator for 3 days.
6. Take out the eggplant from the colander and drain the excess water and set aside.
7. In a large bowl take walnuts, garlic and red chili paste.
8. Fill the eggplant with walnut mixture. Place the eggplant again in a colander, with a heavy object on top of them. Place in the fridge for 24 hours to get rid of any excess fluid.
9. Place the eggplants in a clean, sterilize jar. Pour in the olive oil close the jar tightly and put in a cool place until it is ready to eat in 2-3 weeks.
10. Serve at dinners or as an appetizer during any meal of the day with fresh bread. Enjoy!
The longer time you wait for it to pickle the better taste it will have.
Calories 208 Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.1%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4682.2 mg195.1%
Total Carbohydrates 5 g1.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 3 g5.6%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 2.3% Iron 3.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet