|Cornish hen||1 , whole|
|Dried jujube||4 (chinese/ korean dates)|
|Milk vetch root||1 (Optional)|
|Glutinous rice||3 Ounce|
|Green onion||2 Medium, cut into big pieces (and a small piece chopped for garnish)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), sliced|
1. In a pot, pour 3 liters of water and boil milk vetch root.
2. Bring it to boil on high heat and reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and let it cool (preferably overnight).
4. Clean the Cornish hen and the cavity.
5. Wash the glutinous rice and drain for 10 minutes.
6. Stuff the chicken with 1.2 cup glutinous rice, 2 jujube dates, 1 ginseng root, and 2 garlic cloves. Tie it with a kitchen twine or make a slit in 1 thigh and cross the other thigh into it to seal the hen.
7. Warm the water with vetch root to boil. Place the chicken in the pot and add the remaining ginseng, jujube and green onions.
8. In a small container with meshed lid, put the remaining rice and place it in one side of the pot.
9. Bring it to boil and boil for 20 minutes.
10. Reduce the heat and simmer it for another 20 minutes or till the broth turns milky. Remove the froth from soup occasionally.
11. Season it with salt, pepper and green onions.
12. Turn off the heat and remove the rice container.
13. In a serving bowl, serve the soup with the sticky rice hot and fresh.
Many other herbs like astragalus, kalopanax bark ,etc can also be put in the water along with milk vetch roots.
Calories 504 Calories from Fat 157
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.8%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.7 mg40.2%
Sodium 288.8 mg12%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.4%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 26 g51.1%
Vitamin A 16.6% Vitamin C 26.2%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 14.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet