Kimchi / Kimchee - Korean Food
|Korean kosher salt||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Napa cabbage||2 Medium|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|For the kelp broth|
|Kelp seaweed||5 Gram|
|Shiitake mushroom||1 , dried|
|Anchovies||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|For the rest of the ingredients|
|Radish||2 Cup (32 tbs), julieneed into 2 inch long strips|
|Chives||1 Cup (16 tbs), julieneed into 2 inch long strips|
|Green onions||4 , julieneed into 2 inch long strips|
|Serrano pepper||1 Large, julieneed into 2 inch long strips|
|Rice powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Minced garlic||6 Tablespoon|
|Chopped ginger||2 Teaspoon|
|Anchovy fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Salted shrimp||4 Tablespoon|
|Anchovy powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Korean red pepper flakes||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Optional)|
1. Discard the outer tougher leaves of the Napa cabbage.
2. Make a small 2 inch long incision in the bottom of the Napa cabbage. Slit it in half along the incision.
3. In a large bowl, add ¼ cup of Korean kosher salt and add 3 cups of water. Stir to dissolve.
4. Rinse off the cabbage in the salted water.
5. Use the remaining salt to individually layer each cabbage leaf with it as shown in the video.
6. Put the cabbage segments back in the salted water and let it sit in it for4 - 6 hours during summers and 8 - 9 hours in winters.
7. Rinse the cabbage segments under running water and place in a colander to drain.
8. For the seaweed broth: In a small pot, add about 4 cups of water and put the kelp in it. Let it sit in the cold water for 15 minutes.
9. Heat the water along with the kelp along with the dried shitake mushroom and dried anchovies.
10. When it comes to a boil, remove the kelp and let it simmer and reduce a bit.
11. Chop the vegetables as instructed.
12. In a bowl, add the rice powder and water and cook in the microwave for a few minutes.
13. For the White Kimchi with one Cabbage: In a large bowl, add half the rice powder paste, 3 tablespoons of garlic, a teaspoon of ginger, ½ tablespoon of anchovy fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of salted kimchi and ½ teaspoon of anchovy powder (optional).
14. Add the whole of the Serrano pepper and half of all the diced vegetables. Mix everything together.
15. Pour half the seaweed broth in the bowl and drop the salted cabbages in it.
16. Now take the vegetable mixture and fill in between each leaf of the cabbage. Rub the marinade all over it.
17. Store in a clean plastic container along with all the remaining liquid and cover it.
18. For the regular Kimchi with one cabbage: In a large bowl, add the remaining rice powder paste, 3 tablespoons of garlic, a teaspoon of ginger, ½ tablespoon of anchovy fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of salted kimchi and ½ teaspoon of anchovy powder (optional).
19. Add the Korean red pepper flakes and mix well.
20. Use the mixture to fill in the second cabbage and store in a clean plastic container.
21. Leave out the containers at room temperature for 2 days for a relatively sour kimchi before refrigerating it.
22. Serve with entrees or use in other dishes.