1. In a large bowl combine the garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and white pepper powder with the beef. Mix them well to coat the beef completely.
2. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
3. The beef can be then grilled barbecue-style or pan-fried.
4. Add some mushrooms and onion to the beef for more flavor.
5. When the beef is done, wrap it up in a leaf of lettuce.
6. In a serving plate, serve the bulgogi with rice or noodles or enjoy as it is. It can be garnished with crispy rice or nuts if desired.