Tteok Bokki - Traditional Korean Dish
|For the sweet and savory royal palace tteok bokki|
|Ground beef||1⁄4 Pound|
|Grapeseed oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Korean rice sticks||4 Cup (64 tbs) (2 cups of two different shapes)|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄2 Large|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Large|
|Yellow bell pepper||1⁄2 Large|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Portobello mushroom||1 Large|
|Enoki mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green onions||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|For the bulgogi sauce|
|Soy sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon, mince|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|For the spicy bulgogi sauce|
|Gochujang sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Fish cake||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into squares|
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced (1/2 for the first version and 1/2 for the second version)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
|Radish sprouts||1 Tablespoon|
1. Chop all the vegetables as instructed.
2. Cut the Korean fish cake in squares.
3. For the Bulgogi sauce: In a medium sized bowl, add the soy sauce, sesame oil, freshly minced ginger, honey and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Stir to mix.
4. For the spicy Bulgogi sauce: In a bowl, add the gochujang sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and brown sugar. Stir to mix.
5. In two sauté pans parallely, heat half a tablespoon of grape seed oil in each.
6. Add 2 cups of the Korean rice sticks in each pan. Sauté lightly.
7. For the non spicy version of Tteok Boki: In the first pan, add the ground beef. Sauté it.
8. Pour half the Bulgogi sauce over the beef.
9. Add the Portobello mushrooms and the other vegetables. Saute them.
10. Add half the sliced onions and the enoki mushrooms.
11. Sprinkle the shredded carrots on the top.
12. Pour in the remaining Bulgogi sauce on top.
13. Add quarter cup of water, cover and cook until the vegetables are softened for about 10 minutes.
14. Turn off the heat and set aside.
15. For the spicy version of Tteok Boki: On the sauted rice sticks, add the spicy Bulgogi sauce.
16. Add quarter cup of water and let it simmer.
17. Sprinkle in the onions, squared fish cakes and the green onions. Saute for a few minutes before removing from heat.
18. Plate the non spicy Tteok Boki and garnish with sesame leaves and radish sprouts.
19. For the spicy version of Tteok Boki, plate it as it is and garnish with sesame seeds.
20. Serve the dishes right away.