Korean Food: Yeoul Mu Kimchi (Young Summer Radish Kimchi) - 열무 김치
|Radish||2 Bunch (200 gm), peeled, cut into 5-inch pieces (Young summer radishes used)|
|Red bell peppers||2 Medium, sliced thinly (For color use orange, yellow or red bell peppers / Small Organic bell peppers used)|
|Green onions||6 Medium, cut into 4-inch long pieces (5 - 6 used)|
|For salting the radish|
|Coarse salt||3 Tablespoon (Curing and salt is washed away)|
|For the flour porridge|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Korean red pepper flakes||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves||4 Medium, minced|
|Minced ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Fish sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Take the young summer radishes, peel and remove the bad parts.
2. Cut into half and then cut into 5-inch pieces.
3. Wash couple of times in cold water. (This will help in the salting process)
4. Sprinkle salt, mix well and let it sit for 45 minutes.
5. After 45 minutes, wash in cold water and drain.
6. Heat a saucepan with water at medium high heat.
7. Add all purpose flour, mix and stir until it boils. Then, turn off the heat and let it cool down.
8. To this flour porridge, add Korean red pepper flakes, minced garlic, minced ginger and fish sauce. Mix well to combine.
9. Using a strainer, strain the mixture.
10. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the radishes, green onions, bell peppers and the prepared red pepper mixture.
11. Place the kimchi in a glass container at room temperature for 3 days.
12. After 3 days, refrigerate.
13. Serve as a side dish or as a main ingredient for other Korean dishes.