Lebanese Flat Square Meat Pies
|Dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Ground beef/Lamb||1 Pound|
|Finely chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Seven spices||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil/1 standard olive oil spray||1 Tablespoon|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon|
1. To make the dough, combine yeast, water and sugar and let sit for ten minutes, add olive oil.
2. In a mixer or large bowl, add yeast mixture, slowly add flour, half cup at a time until all combined, add a teaspoon of water if needed to combine dough, add olive oil.
3. Coat a large clean bowl with oil and add dough ball to it, let dough rise for 1 hour.
4. Form dough into 1 inch small floured balls and cover with plastic wrap, set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. In a large bowl, mix meat, onions, tomatoes, 7 spices, salt, black pepper and red pepper until well combined.
7. On a floured surface roll out the dough balls into 4-6 inch circles.
8. Place 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center, pinch opposite sides of the dough and form a square by pinching 4 sides together.
9. Place the sfeeha squares on a nonstick sheet pan, or on a sheet pan sprayed with olive oil spray.
10. Bake the meat pies for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
11. Remove meat pies from oven and paint them with melted butter or spray with olive oil spray to give them a nice gloss.
12. Reheat in an oven or toaster oven for 5-8 minutes to keep the dough soft and crunchy.
13. Serve with Mediterranean yogurt and slices of lemon.