Fun with Rice Wrappers
|Vietnamese spring roll wrapper||12 Ounce (Vietnamese rice paper wrappers used)|
|Rice vermicelli||1⁄2 Pound (1/2 packet)|
|Fresh basil leaves||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm)|
|For the dipping sauce|
|Hoisin sauce||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chili garlic paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon (as required)|
|Roasted peanuts||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. If using frozen shrimps/prawns, defrost by soaking them in some water for a while.
2. Take two pots of water and bring them to a boil.
3. In a pot of the boiling water plunge the shrimps using a strainer and let them stay in the boiling water just for a couple of minutes till the meat turns opaque. When the shrimps are done plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking process.
4. In a bowl set aside the cooked shrimps cut in half lengthwise.
5. In the other pot of boiling water boil the vermicelli noodles for about 3 to 4 minutes and drain and set aside.
6. In a small bowl to prepare the dipping sauce, combine together the hoisin sauce, fish sauce, chili garlic paste and mix well. Garnish the dip with some crushed roasted peanuts.
6. Soak the Vietnamese rice wrappers in hot water for about a minute to get them soft and ready for use.
7. Lay the wrapper on a cutting board, and put a little bit of the noodles in the middle of the wrapper. Place about 3-4 fresh basil leaves on top of the noodles followed by 3 of the cooked shrimps. Roll the the top and bottom end of the wrapper first, then fold in one of the sides and roll the wrapper to the other side, tucking the folded sides in.
8. Serve with the dipping sauce.
The chef suggests different variations for the recipe filing.
For the chicken adobo roll, steamed rice with some of the shredded chicken along with a spoon of the sauce from the chicken adobo can be put on top of the rice and wrapped with the rice wrappers.
For the Hawaiian masubi roll, a couple of spam masubis are laid on the wrapper topped with 2 or 3 pieces of cut pineapple followed by steamed rice, garnished with sprinkles of furikake.
Calories 242 Calories from Fat 11
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g1.9%
Saturated Fat 0.24 g1.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 53.2 mg17.7%
Sodium 185.7 mg7.7%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.55 g2.2%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 11 g21.3%
Vitamin A 6.5% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 5.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet