How To Make Pho: Pho Bo A Classic Vietnamese Pho
|Dried rice noodles||200 Gram|
|Ginger||4 Inch, cut in half|
|Beef shank||5 Pound|
|Pure water||1 1⁄2 Gallon|
|Fish sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves||4 , quartered|
|Flank steak||1 Pound|
|For bouquet garni|
|Cinnamon stick||2 Inch, break in 1/2|
|Coriander seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Fennel seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole black peppercorns||10|
|White peppercorn||10 , whole|
|For nouc cham|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rice wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thai chiles||4 (red and green)|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Lime||1 , juiced|
|Basil leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bean sprouts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lime wedge||4 Small|
|Eye of round||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), very thinly sliced|
|Hoisin sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)|
|Sriracha||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)|
1. On a working table, place a piece of cheese cloth, and place all the ingredients for bouquet garni on it and tie all the corners together to make a bundle.
2. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for nouc cham, stir well to mix and set aside to incorporate the flavours.
3. In a stockpot, put marrowbones and fill with water.
4. Bring water to a boil and blanch the bones for 10-15 minutes, remove
5. After 15 minutes, drain the bones and rinse them under cold water.
6. In a clean stockpot, filled with fresh water, put bones and bring to a boil.
7. Once boiling lower the heat to the lowest simmer.
8. Add in onion, ginger, beef and bouquet garni, fish sauce, garlic and salt, simmer the broth for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, uncovered.
9. While cooking remove the impurities from the surface using a slotted spoon and discard.
10. After 2 hours, remove the beef and slice it thin and set aside.
11. Continue to simmer the broth for another 1 1/2 hours, until it reduces a bit.
12. Strain the broth through a fine strainer into another pot and then return the broth to the original stockpot.
13. Heat the strained broth and bring to a slow boil
14. In a pot with water prepare the rice noodles as per the packet instructions.
15. Prepare the topping ingredients.
16. In a soup bowl, put rice noodle, sliced meat and ladle broth over it.
17. Serve hot topped with bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, scallions, eye of round steak slices and sriracha and hoisin sauce or nouc cham sauce.