The Sandwich of the East. So good, they should rename it Banhwich as a tribute!
The key to this delicious sandwich is the fresh bread, fresh herbs and fresh chilies. Notice a trend there? FRESHNESS! Stuff with fresh vegetables and fresh meat – which you’ve COOKED….don’t be a hero – and you’ve got yourself a ridiculously tasty treat! This is truly one of the best sandwiches you will ever try! Try this Banh Mi recipe today!
1. Stir sugar into rice wine vinegar until it dissolves.
2. Add Julienned carrots (and radishes if using) and let sit for at least an hour.
3. Add cucumbers and mangoes to marinating carrots, toss and leave for 5 minutes.
4. Slice buns open 3/4 of the way through, leaving a hinge intact. Spread 1/4 of the butter on each of the four buns.
5. Drain marinating vegetables of any excess liquid and divide evenly among 4 buns. Do the same thing with the meat, coriander, basil and chilies.
This Vietnamese Banh Mi is definitely going to be one of your favorite subs one you try it out. Fresh herbs, flavorful meat, and crisp and juicy vegetables makes it a very rare combination. You can always work on the spice level depending on your palate.