Vietnamese Banh Mi
|Carrot||1 Large, julienned|
|Daikon radish||1⁄4 Medium, julienned|
|Mango||1⁄2 Medium, peeled, julienned|
|Cooked meat||1⁄2 Pound (Stir Fried Beef / Baked Chicken / Duck / Pork / Cold Cuts)|
|Coriander leaves||8 Medium (With Stems)|
|Thai basil leaves||12 Medium|
|Red chilies/Green chilies||To Taste, minced|
|Rice wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Stir sugar into rice wine vinegar until it dissolves.
2. Add Julienned carrots (and radishes if using) and let sit for at least an hour.
3. Add cucumbers and mangoes to marinating carrots, toss and leave for 5 minutes.
4. Slice buns open 3/4 of the way through, leaving a hinge intact. Spread 1/4 of the butter on each of the four buns.
5. Drain marinating vegetables of any excess liquid and divide evenly among 4 buns. Do the same thing with the meat, coriander, basil and chilies.
6. Serve immediately and take a bite.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1323 Calories from Fat 396
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71.1%
Saturated Fat 19.7 g98.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 234.6 mg78.2%
Sodium 1354.6 mg56.4%
Total Carbohydrates 156 g52.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g37.9%
Sugars 52.3 g
Protein 76 g152.9%
Vitamin A 314.3% Vitamin C 87.3%
Calcium 43.5% Iron 44.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet