Korean Beef Short Rib Jjim
|Beef short ribs||2 Pound, cubed|
|Potato||1 Cup (16 tbs), chop (into chunks)|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop (into chunks)|
|Chestnuts||14 , peeled|
|Beef broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Boiling water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|For the sauce|
|Asian pear||1 Cup (16 tbs), chop|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chop|
|Soy sauce||6 Tablespoon|
|Cooking wine/Water||3 Tablespoon|
|Green onion||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, mince|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger powder||2 Pinch|
|Fried egg||1 Medium|
|Pine nuts||1 Tablespoon|
1. Cut the beef short ribs into 1 inch cubes, and place it in a bowl.
2. Cut the Asian pears and onions into chunks, set aside.
3. Soak the meat in water for 1-2 hours.
4. Cut the Asian pears and onions into chunks, set aside.
5. Chop the green onions and mince the garlic.
6. Cut the carrots and potatoes, trim the edges and cut into ½ inch pieces, set aside.
7. Rinse and drain the water.
8. In a pot boil water and cook the meat for 5 minute on high heat.
9. Once done, reserve 1 ½ cup of the beef broth and drain the rest of the water.
10. Grind the pear and onions until paste like consistency.
11. In a bowl combine the puree, soy sauce, sugar, cooking wine, green onions, garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, black pepper and ground ginger powder, stir everything.
12. Add the beef ribs into the sauce and coat it well, refrigerate the meat overnight.
13. In a large pan add the marinated meat along with the beef broth, bring it to a boil.
14. Lower the heat and cook the beef for 1 hour uncovered.
15. Add the vegetables after 1 hour and cook it for additional 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft tender.
16. Place the lid and on medium high heat continue cooking.
17. Once the sauce has thickened and is reduced, turn off the heat.
18. Transfer in a serving plate and garnish with pine nuts and fried egg whites and egg yolks which has been cut diagonally.
19. Serve the beef short ribs with steamed rice.