Korean Food Radish Kimchi
|Korean radish/Daikon||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Cold water||5 Liter|
|Coarse salt||3 Tablespoon (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baby shrimp||3 Tablespoon, brined|
|Fish sauce/Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Fuji apple||1 Large|
|Sweet rice flour||2 Tablespoon|
1. Peel the radish and using sharp knife cut it in about 1” cubes.
2. In a bowl, with cold water with coarse salt put radish and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes.
3. In a food processor, place together apples, ginger, garlic and sugar, process all together until well blended.
4. In a saucepan over medium heat, put 1 cup of water, add in sweet rice flour and whisk continuously until the mixture boils and coats the back of a spoon.
5. In a bowl transfer the sweet rice flour mixture and add in the pepper flakes, baby brine shrimps, fish sauce and apple mixture, stir well until all the ingredients are incorporated.
6. Drain the radish, rinse it twice and add about 3 tablespoons the pepper flake mixture at first.
7. Wear plastic or rubber gloves; massage the radish with your hands.
8. Taste and add more pepper flakes mixture if needed.
9. Serve the Kimchi as desired with hot soup, steamed rice, meat or chicken.
Allow the kimchi to sit for few hours or overnight if desired to incorporate more flavours.