|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Orange slices||2 (1/4 inch, with skin)|
|Crushed walnuts||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Zwieback||10 , finely crushed|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Orange||1 , rind grated|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Pound, melted (1 stick)|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. To make the sauce: In a saucepan add sugar, rum and water. Mix well.
3. Add orange slices and boil. Reduce the heat once boiling and simmer 10 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
4. In another small bowl add zwieback and walnuts.
5. In a 1 l-by-9-inch baking pan add butter to grease.
6. In a small mixer bowl separate eggs. Allow egg whites to cool to room temperature.
7. Add cream of tar tartar to egg white mixture. Beat for 5 minutes till the egg whites are stiff.
8. Beat sugar and yolk for 5 minutes to get a pale yellow consistency.
9. Fold the egg yolks in white. Fold the walnut and zwieback mixture along with orange rind. Combine the melted butter and fold.
10. Pour the batter in prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes till golden brown in color and all the sides pull away.
11. Pour sauce on cake. Slice cake into diamond shapes.
12. Serve Ravani cold.
Calories 1306 Calories from Fat 671
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g115.8%
Saturated Fat 20.8 g104.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 483.9 mg161.3%
Sodium 170.5 mg7.1%
Total Carbohydrates 127 g42.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g29%
Sugars 105.8 g
Protein 26 g52.1%
Vitamin A 25.7% Vitamin C 29.8%
Calcium 12% Iron 27.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet