|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Orange slices||2 (1/4 inch, with skin)|
|Crushed walnuts||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Zwieback||10 , finely crushed|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Orange||1 , rind grated|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Pound, melted (1 stick)|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. To make the sauce: In a saucepan add sugar, rum and water. Mix well.
3. Add orange slices and boil. Reduce the heat once boiling and simmer 10 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
4. In another small bowl add zwieback and walnuts.
5. In a 1 l-by-9-inch baking pan add butter to grease.
6. In a small mixer bowl separate eggs. Allow egg whites to cool to room temperature.
7. Add cream of tar tartar to egg white mixture. Beat for 5 minutes till the egg whites are stiff.
8. Beat sugar and yolk for 5 minutes to get a pale yellow consistency.
9. Fold the egg yolks in white. Fold the walnut and zwieback mixture along with orange rind. Combine the melted butter and fold.
10. Pour the batter in prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes till golden brown in color and all the sides pull away.
11. Pour sauce on cake. Slice cake into diamond shapes.
12. Serve Ravani cold.